We are the Cowichan Valley’s first dragon boat team. Our group consists of women living with breast cancer, and those who support us. We are a non-profit society with these specific goals:
To demonstrate that breast cancer survivors can lead full, active lives after diagnosis
- To raise awareness about breast cancer
- To encourage research and a cure
- To laugh and learn together
- To show that through team-work and mutual support we are strong, focused and fit
- To encourage each other
- To overcome the loneliness of cancer
- Our goal is to spread this message wherever and whenever we paddle or compete.
In January of 2003 a group of breast cancer survivors and their family and friends who supported them decided that Breast Cancer Awareness should be more actively promoted in the Cowichan Valley. The Dragon Divas were formed and the energetic group of women took the Valley by storm by forming the first Dragon Boat team in the area.
It was felt that the waters of Mill Bay, Shawnigan Lake, Cowichan Bay, Maple Bay, Crofton and Lake Cowichan offer prime conditions for the sport of dragon boating. The Dragon Divas actively fund raised and by May 2004 we were able to buy our own dragon boat. Cowichan Bay became the permanent “home” of the boat as it is moored at the Maritime Centre. We paddle our hearts out – we laugh, sing, shout, sweat and cry together and have become a very strong, supportive group.